There is no question among executives and managers of all levels that harnessing the power of reporting and analytics software is essential to operating a successful business today. As we move further into the era of big data, new technologies, and savvy end users, the benefits of employing these tools in operating a business are becoming ever more pronounced. A few of these include:
- Better decision making throughout the organization
- Improved operating and cost efficiencies
- Ability to achieve higher levels of customer service
- Improved communication within an organization as reports and analysis are shared throughout
- Improved financial performance
- Discovering opportunities hidden in your data
This white paper offers some fundamental insights into how data virtualization is opening new possibilities in reporting and analytics software.
How Data Virtualization Powers Reporting and Analytics
Data virtualization is an emerging data integration technology that changes the equation for reporting and analytics solutions. For those not familiar with the term, the following is a standard definition for data virtualization:
Data Virtualization abstracts data from multiple disparate sources creating a unified virtual data layer that provides users easy access to the underlying source data.
The chart below provides a graphical understanding of how data virtualization works.
This illustration shows the fundamental principle of data virtualization. Data from disparate sources in an organization is abstracted to a single virtual data layer. The layer effectively becomes a virtual database from which applications throughout the enterprise can access data.
When data virtualization is applied to reporting and analytics software, the results are profound. Reports and analytics now draw from a single source, the virtual data layer, to access all of an organization’s data. This offloads data integration requirements from costly and complex data warehousing solutions – they are no longer needed in order to consolidate data sources for access by the reporting and analytics software. With data virtualization, there is no need to move or replicate source data since it accessed directly via the virtual data layer. The following image shows how reporting and analytics software accesses the virtual data layer to retrieve data from the underlying data sources.
There are many benefits to be gained from building reporting and analytics software on top of a virtual data layer. These include the following:
- Reports and analytics can be created that draw upon data from across the organization. This means new reports and analysis can be mashed together from previously siloed data. This unlocks great value from a company’s data.
- Offering end users self-serve capabilities is a natural offshoot when using data virtualization architecture. This means end users can create new reports and analytics or modify existing ones without involvement from IT. An organization empowers its end users while offloading work from IT.
- Reports and analysis can be built using real time data. The reason for this is that source data is accessed in real time through the virtual data layer. There are no intermediary steps required, such as moving or copying source data to a data warehouse, to prepare the data to be accessed by the reporting and analytics software.
- Strong security is a natural by-product as all queries from end users of the reporting and analytics software go through a single source, the virtual data layer. This means each user’s access can be controlled in a fine or coarse grained way according to need.
- Modern reporting and analytics capabilities that complement a company’s existing solutions can be delivered at an affordable price.
Accur8 Software changes the game for IT departments, developers and their end-users with tools and technology that enable companies of all sizes to easily and affordably leverage the benefits of Data Virtualization.
Our reporting and analytics product, driven by Data Virtualization, enables end-users to build reports that draw data from multiple sources across the enterprise without relying on IT. This provides a flood of new insight, driving better business decisions and a great ROI. It is very affordable and a true complement to a company’s existing reporting and analytics software. Our Integr8 toolset, powered by our unique Data Virtualization technology, opens up new possibilities in application development. By enabling developers to bypass the complexity of back end (and often legacy) systems integration they are able to build applications in a fraction of the time and cost of traditional methodologies.
For companies that may be resource-challenged or overloaded with user demands, we offer custom application development services. Our team of expert developers will build applications to the client’s specifications using our Integr8 toolset.
Whether building software for internal or commercial applications, or using Accur8 Software Solutions’ services, the result is a streamlined development process, lesser burden on the development staff, greater flexibility for the end user and high performance applications which offer real value to the business.
Accur8 Software is a leading data unification company, focused on high performance, scalable and accessibly priced integration technology and tools. We recognize that companies’ application environments are growing in complexity as they deploy more and more software applications to drive their businesses forward. This complexity hampers business performance because valuable data from across the company is not readily available to business users or systems. It forces IT staff to waste significant time and money dealing with the never-ending cycle of trying to integrate and share needed data across the organization.
The Accur8 Integration Engine is a data unification tool designe d to help companies address the issue of complex application environments. It provides a flexible, agile way to unify data across processes and applications without coding. This means being able to integrate data and applications together whether they are in-cloud, on-premise or separated by geographical distance. It allows companies to access data and have it flow across the organization to users and systems as needed. Its capabilities include data integration, application integration, master data management, and reporting and analytics. It can be deployed as a point solution to integrate data between two applications or as a tool to unify all of a company’s data and applications.
We have customers ranging from growth stage to Fortune 150.